greamhouze

Thursday, November 16, 2006

PRESS FREEDOM: THE -G.R.E.A.M--- SPEAKS OUT

I got this from a blog called 'gukira' it read like

"Dear President Kibaki:

On March 2, 2006 government forces raided the headquarters and printing plant of the Standard Group. In addition to destroying equipment and newspapers, they shut down the KTN news station.

This latest attack follows the jailing of three journalists from Standard Newspaper, attacks on Citizen Weekly, and ongoing harassment of journalists by government-sponsored forces.

I urge you to condemn these attacks and to support freedom of the press."


I mainly write about Hip Hop and entertainment but this one cuaght my eye and I had to comment. Not that I suck this government's dick and not that I do not advocate for press freedom. Its because I love journalism.

First, the raiding was in bad taste and the day will always be remembered as a dark one in the history of press in Kenya and world over. It was like a bad dream to me when I woke up to the news of the raid. The governemnt erred in this one and I condemn the attack in the storngest of terms.

Secondly, I do not think the arrest of Swaleh Mdoe was to curtail freedom of the press otherwise the same would have happened to the likes of Muraya Kariuki, Jaidi Kisero, Philip Mwaniki or any other journalist. That is where the Standard Group went wrong when they accused the governemnt of harrasing the press coz one of their own had been arrested on suspicion of not being Kenyan. Remember what happened to Nation media Group journalist that were sent packing for working in Tanzania? Was that abuse of press freedom or would you call it protocal? I urge Standard Group to SHUN sensationalism and work towards responsible journalism.

Look at newspaper like Citizen Weekly or whatever they call it. The government still allows it to run even when they come up with maligning articles on Politician, Businessmen, Entertainment Celebrities and other well to do Kenyans. I remember one Headline that read "WANGARI MATHAAI MARRIES MUSICIAN ERIC WAINAINA" Others have read "HALF OF KENYAN MPS ARE HIV POSITIVE" This are just afew headlines that have graced the paper over the years and there are many others the list is just endless. This is irreponsible journalism and I dont think the President should be blackmailed into supporting bad or gutter press.

The Press and the Governemt should come together and come up with laws that will be acceptable to all. Meanwhile the Press should learn to regulate itself. They should learn from that Nation Media advert "The Dog ate my homewrok!"

On the other hand the goverment should never at any one time repeat the March attacks and should allow everyone to work in peace.be it a journalist, a garbage collector, a CEO or a hawker.

6 Comments:

  • I absolutely agree with this post on all levels.

    I'd like to add that it would be rather difficult as a Kenyan administrative leader to enforce anything without violence because the affected people are not smart, don't review why cahnges are being made and are very easily succeptible to propaganda. The hawkers violence was expected and unavaoidable in my opinion. Review the knowledge levels of people involved and the propensity to resist change. They believe if they've gotten away with being wrong all this time, it shouldn't stop now.

    I'm always amazed at all the complaining Kenyans do, and then complain some more to antagonise all the efforts they just put forth in the initial complaining.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 7:56 PM  

  • So you and mimmz think that the government should decide which papers you can or cannot read eh? Perhaps which radio and TV stations you can or cannot watch too? And while we are at it, why not which internet sites you can or cannot visit? After all, mimmz seems to think that Kenyans are not smart and require some "encouragement" to toe the line.

    The Swaleh Mdoe issue has nothing to do with Press freedom unless he was specifically targeted because he is a member of the Fourth Estate.

    If anyone feels aggrieved by the headlines on Citizen Weekly, they have recourse to law. Our statutes against libel have proven very effective in the past. The Media Council of Kenya also has mechanisms for sorting out allegations of press misconduct. Letting the government decide on this matters is just another way of introducing censorship, and we all know where that road leads. So forgive me if I don't jump on that bandwagon. My inferior knowledge level won't let me.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 11:02 AM  

  • Gathara I didnt say that the government shud regulate the media. Read carefuly and understand.

    By Blogger SupremeGREAM, At 12:00 PM  

  • I second n third you on the standard group's sensationalism..."We fall(ama R felled,we wail, we shut up,get up and on with our lives"...

    ....Ao ma-janalist wa Citizen waachiliwe....Izo ni tactics za juzi....

    By Blogger bantutu, At 6:41 PM  

  • Jamaa ebu check out my UNEDUCATED 2-cents post on a cross section of hiphop....Be brutally honest....Hihi Coz I'll admit am a MUGITHI typa guy...
    God!! even my grammar sucks!! Brutaly HONEST!!

    By Blogger bantutu, At 3:23 PM  

  • I totally agree with yu on this one, 100% AGREE!!

    By Blogger Klara, At 5:52 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home